Centre for Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology
The Head and Neck Oncology Service at Amrita Hospital has always strived to be a model for comprehensive multidisciplinary care in the country. The infrastructure, clinical services offered and the outcomes of patient care are on par with the best centers in the world. Head and neck cancers comprise of tumors of mouth, throat, voice box (larynx) and the associated structures such as sinuses, salivary and thyroid gland. It is now clearly established that multimodality treatment with surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapyalone or in various combinations offer the best chance to cure the disease and to improve the quality of life of patients. Because of the involvement of multiple specialties, the treatment decision and monitoring is best carried out through a multidisciplinary head and neck oncology team, rather than by a single physician or a specialty. The team comprises of the head and neck surgical oncologist, radiation and medical oncologists, radiologist, pathologist, medical social worker and supportive care specialists. Our weekly tumor board consisting of these experts oversees the planning and care of all head and neck cancer patients. We also have dedicated tumour boards for thyroid and skull base disorders every month where in the treatment planning is done in great detail. All the treatment decisions are based on best current evidence and universally accepted treatment guidelines.
- Ablative cancer surgery to remove tumor from the patient body.
- Reconstructive surgery to return pre-surgical state both functionally and aesthetically.
- Minimal invasive surgeries – Keyhole surgery, endoscopic surgeries and Trans-oral laser surgeries.
- Trans-Oral Robotic surgeries (TORS).
- Robotic Thyroidectomy.
- Suture less thyroid surgery (Harmonic scalpel surgery).
- Skull base and sinus services including endoscopic and neuro-navigation assisted surgeries combined with expertise of neurosurgeons.
- Curative surgeries for non-cancerous swellings including huge benign tumors and vascular lesions.
- Virtual surgical planning with VRT Model and 3D printing software.
- Patient specific implants/hardware for reconstruction of maxilla (upper jaw), mandible (lower jaw) and orbit defects.
- Surgery for salivary gland cancer and non-cancer swellings.
- Facial re-animation surgeries for facial palsy with free functional muscle transfer, temporalis tendon transfer, gold weight implant etc.
- Secondary reconstruction of head and neck cancer ablative defects to achieve normal or near normal aesthetic and functional results.
- Exclusive dysphagia unit for functional rehabilitation with tailored methods.
- Dental rehabilitation in the form of dentures and implants.
- Prosthetic implants for defects of face, ear and eye socket.
- Dental oncology for pre and post radiotherapy care for head and neck cancer patients.
Why Choose Us?
- World Class Surgical Facilities and Surgeons available in the field
- Detailed workup with all sort of investigations
- 24-Hour availability of microvascular surgeons
- Trained medical staff for hourly free flap monitoring.
- Dedicated ICU integrated to the exclusive state-of-the-art operation theatre complex.
- 24-hour availability of expert airway intensivist and anaesthetist.
- Dedicated swallowing and speech service for early rehabilitation of cancer patients.
- First institution to start MCh Head and Neck Surgery/Oncology super specialty course in India.
- Multi-Departmental tumor board discussion for best tailored evidence-based treatment for the patient.