Dr Satyakam Baruah is a qualified Neurosurgeon subspecializing in Epilepsy Surgery, trained at the prestigious Montreal Neurological Institute Canada, in Neurosurgery for Epilepsy. He received his basic Neurosurgical training from the prestigious National Institute of Mental Health, NIMHANS, Bangalore.
After completion of his Neurosurgical residency he joined Medanta The Medicity Gurgaon, where, initially as a Consultant and later as a Senior Consultant Neurosurgeon, he worked with the highest ethical standards, providing the best level of health care services at par with international best practice protocols. Dr Baruah is well versed with the entire range of Minimally Invasive Neurosurgery setup from the simplest to the most advanced Neuroendoscopy for Brain and Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery.
During his tenure as Clinical Fellow in Epilepsy Surgery, at the Montreal Neurological Institute Canada, he has acquired excellent exposure to the practice of Epilepsy Surgery of the highest standard that only an institute as historic and as internationally accomplished as the MNI can provide. Under the mentorship of Dr Andrea Olivere and Dr Jeffery A Hall, he trained in a wide array of delicate surgeries towards the cure of epilepsy and brain tumors, ranging from the traditional open procedures to minimally invasive procedures like thermocoagulation, Laser Interstitial Thermal Therapy (Laser aided NeuroSurgery). He has been an Active member of the MNI Robotic StereoEEG Team 2018-2019 and continues to collaborate with the team. His training in Montreal has provided him a vast hands on exposure to numerous advanced procedures such as Robotic StereoEEG, Neuromodulatory procedures such as VNS, DBS for the treatment of Epilepsy.
His primary areas of interest are Epilepsy Surgery, Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery, Precision Excision of Brain Tumors in Eloquent regions, Functional Neurosurgery, Neuroendoscopy and Robotics.
- M.Ch. (Neurosurgery),National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS), Bangalore.
- MS ( General Surgery),Gauhati Medical College.
- MBBS, Silchar Medical College, Assam, India
- Epilepsy Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
- Precision Excision of Brain tumors
- Neuroendoscopy and Robotics.
- Prime Minister’s Guest Award At The Republic Day Parade At New Delhi On 26th January 2016 As One Of The 100 Meritorious Students For Academic Excellence In Mch Neurosurgery For The Year 2014-15
- Best Paper In Neurosurgery At The 64th Annual Conference Of Neurological Society Of India At Hyderabad, December 2015
- Shri J.B. Modi Best Paper Award In The 22nd Annual Conference Of Neurotrauma Society Of India In 2013 At Guwahati.
- Simon Groom Travel Award 2018-2019, McGill University, Montreal, Canada.
- 2018 American Epilepsy Society Young Investigator Fellows Award for: The Changing nature of Epilepsy: A review of practice profiles.
- Baruah, S., Olivier, A., & Hall, J. (2021). The changing nature of epilepsy surgery: A retrospective review of practice profiles. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences / Journal Canadien Des Sciences Neurologiques, 1-20. doi:10.1017/cjn.2021.115
- DREZotomy in the management of post brachial plexus root avulsion neuropathic pain: fMRI correlates for pain relief Satyakam Baruah, Dhananjaya Ishwar Bhat, Bhagavatula Indira Devi, Alok Mohan Uppar, Komal Bharti, Arvinda H Ramalingaiah Br J Neurosurg 2021 Jan 19;1-10. doi: 10.1080/02688697.2021.1872769. PMID: 33463389 DOI: 10.1080/02688697.2021.1872769
- Dengue Fever Presenting With Cervicodorsal Acute Spinal Spontaneous Subdural Hematoma—Case Report And Review Of Literature. Satyakam Baruah, Sudhir Dubey, Utkarsh Ghavgave, A.N.Jha. World Neurosurgery 2018, Received 11 June 2018, Revised 9 October 2018, Accepted 11 October 2018, Available online 4 November 2018.doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2018.10.201.
- Demonstration of autonomic dysfunction in traumatic brachial plexus injury using quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test: Preliminary results . Baruah S, Deepika A, Shukla D, Devi BI, Preethish-Kumar V, Sathyaprabha TN. Neurol India 2017;65:1317-21.
- Eosinophilic Granuloma of Skull with Fluid Level and Epidural Hematoma: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Nishanth Sadashiva, Satyakam Baruah, Shilpa Rao, Sampath Somanna. Pediatric Neurosurgery 52(1) · September 2016 with DOI: 10.1159/000448047
- Drezotomy in the management of post brachial plexus injury neuropathic pain: Preliminary results. Satyakam Baruah, B. Indira Devi, Dhananjay I. Bhat, Dhaval Shukla (Department of Neurosurgery, Nimhans, Bangalore, Karnataka, India) Original Article: The Indian Journal Of Neurotrauma 1 1 ( 2 0 1 4 ) 2 7-2 9
- Demonstration of Autonomic Dysfunction in Brachial Plexus Injury Using QSART. S. Baruah , A. Deepika, V. Preethish Kumar, D. P. Shukla, D.I.Bhat, T. N Sathyaprabha, B. I. Devi. Abstracts/Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 192 (2015) 56-141
- Demonstration of subclinical autonomic dysfunction following severe traumatic brain injury using serial heart rate variability monitoring. A. Deepika, S. Baruah, D.P. Shukla, T.N. Sathyaprabha, B.I. Devi. Abstracts/Autonomic Neuroscience: Basic and Clinical 192 (2015) 56-141.
- Examination of vestibular system. Pg numbers K (1-4). Dr Paritosh Pandey, Dr S Baruah, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Bengaluru. NSI HANDBOOK OF CLINICAL EXAMINATION Proceedings of 6th NSI Educational Course, Department of Neurosurgery, Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences, Lucknow, 1-3rd August, 2014.
- Sudhir Dubey, Deepak B, Satyakam Baruah, et al. Management of Adult Degenerative Scoliosis. Neurosurgery Updates Volume 1. (133-140)