Dr. Rohit Mehtani, is among the few DM Hepatology trained doctors in the country. He is an alumnus of the prestigious Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh where he was the batch topper in the DM exit exams. He has been trained in Transplant Hepatology from the busiest living donor liver transplant centre in the country, Max Super Specialty Hospital, Saket and has experience of taking care of over 200 liver transplant recipients. He has been recipient of many national awards starting from his MBBS days including the 1st prize in All India Physiology Quiz in 2010. He was also awarded the best post graduate resident award in the Department of Medicine at MGM Medical College, Indore for the year 2017. At PGIMER Chandigarh, Dr. Rohit was actively involved in development of neuromonitoring protocols for patients with liver diseases in the intensive care unit, which was also published in the prestigious journal Metabolic Brain Diseases.
Dr. Mehtani is an avid researcher and academician and has over 30 publications and book chapters. His research work has been appreciated by various international societies who have awarded him international travel grants and complimentary registrations to present his work to the international liver community. He has a vast experience of over 5 years in treating patients with liver diseases and his areas of interests include acute liver failure (ALF), autoimmune liver diseases including autoimmune hepatitis (AIH), primary biliary cholangitis (PBC) and primary sclerosing cholangitis (PSC), non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD), hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC), liver diseases in pregnancy and liver transplant hepatology. He is a member of international societies like American Association for Study of Liver (AASLD), European Association for Study of Liver (EASL), Indian National Association for Study of Liver (INASL), Liver Transplant Society of India (LTSI) and International Liver Transplant Society (ILTS) and with his experiences, hopes to bring quality and affordable healthcare to patients suffering from liver diseases in the country.
- MBBS University College of Medical Sciences and G.T.B. Hospital Delhi University
- MD Medicine MGM Medical College and M.Y. Hospital, Indore Madhya Pradesh Medical Science University, Jabalpur
- DM Hepatology Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education & Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh
- Fellowship in Transplant Hepatology Max Superspecialty Hospital, Saket, New Delhi
Dr. Rohit Mehtani specialises in management of patients with liver and biliary tract diseases including alcohol related liver diseases, fatty liver, hepatitis B and C, autoimmune hepatitis, primary sclerosing cholangitis, CBD stones, hepatocellular carcinoma and cholangiocarcinoma. He has special interest in the management of liver diseases in pregnancy and taking care of critically ill patients including those of acute liver failure and acute-on-chronic liver failure. He is a certified Transplant Hepatologist and has a vast experience in optimizing patients for liver transplant and managing immunosuppression and complications post liver transplant.
- 1st Prize in All India Physiology Quiz
- Best Postgraduate Student, Department of Medicine, MGM Medical College, Indore
- 1st Position in Intra-State Rheumatology Quiz\
- Awarded Complimentary Registration for PG Course at APDW 2019
- Awarded Travel Grant to attend the 29th Annual Conference of Asia Pacific Association for Study of Liver Disease (APASL 2020)
- Awarded complementary registration for International Digestive Disease Forum (IDDF) 2021
- Awarded INASL-AASLD-2021 Registration Bursary
- Batch topper in DM Hepatology Exit Exam
- Awarded complementary registration for INASL 2022
- Mehtani R, Premkumar M, Kulkarni AV. Nutrition in Critical Care Hepatology. Current Hepatology Reports (Accepted for publication)
- Premkumar M, Mehtani R, Kulkarni AV, et al. Association of Heparin-Like Effect, Factor VII/XIII Deficiency and Fibrinolysis with Rebleeding Risk in Cirrhosis with Acute Variceal Bleeding. Dig Dis Sci. 2022;1-17. doi:10.1007/s10620-022-07656-9
- Tomar, S, Nallapeta N, Mehtani R, Mahmud N, Sundaram V. Statins reduce development of acute-on-chronic liver failure in patients with cirrhosis.@Gijournal. 2, 1 (May 2022). DOI:https://doi.org/10.52697/gijournal.v2i1.33
- Mehtani R, Garg S, Kajal K, Soni SL, Premkumar M. Neurological monitoring and sedation protocols in the Liver Intensive Care Unit. Metab Brain Dis. 2022;10.1007/s11011-022-00986-7. doi:10.1007/s11011-022-00986-7
- Kaur H, Dhiman RK, Kulkarni AV, Premkumar M, Singh V, Duseja AK, Grover S, Grover GS, Roy A, Verma N, De A, Taneja S, Mehtani R, Mishra S, Kaur H. Improvement of chronic HCV infection-related depression, anxiety, and neurocognitive performance in persons achieving SVR-12: A real-world cohort study [published online ahead of print, 2022 Mar 10]. J Viral Hepat. 2022;10.1111/jvh.13668. doi:10.1111/jvh.13668
- Mehtani R, De A, Mishra S, Roy A, Gandotra A, Verma N, Premkumar M, Taneja S, Duseja A, Singh V. Natural history of non-severe COVID-19 in patients with liver disease. Hepatology; 74 (Suppl 1):332A – 333A, 2021. https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.32188
- De A, Duseja A, Mehta M, Singh P, Mehtani R, Verma N, Premkumar M, Taneja S, Das A, Singh V. AGILE 3+ score for assessing hepatic fibrosis in patients with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD) – validation in an Indian cohort. Hepatology; 74 (Suppl 1). https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.32188
- Mehtani R, Aggarwal A, Premkumar M, Kaur H, Kaur H, Kekan K, Lad D, Divyaveer S, Zohmangaihi D, Mallik N, Mishra S, De A, Verma N, Taneja S, Duseja A, Singh V. S3411 Profile of Anaemia in Patients With Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure. The American Journal of Gastroenterology: October 2021 - Volume 116 - Issue - p S1401-S1402 doi: 10.14309/01.ajg.0000787176.69085.61
- Premkumar M, Kaur H, Kaur H, Grover S, Grover G, Dhiman R, Duseja A, Mehtani R. S1083 Chronic Hepatitis C Infection Is Associated With Depression, Anxiety, and Impaired Neurocognitive Performance, Which Improves After Achieving SVR-12 With Direct-Acting Antivirals: A Prospective Study. The American Journal of Gastroenterology: October 2021 - Volume 116 - Issue - p S511-S512 doi: 10.14309/01.ajg.0000777864.02977.07
- Aggarwal A, Premkumar M, Mallik N, Zohmangaihi D, Lad D, Divyaveer S, Singh V, Kaur H, Kaur H, Kekan K, Mehtani R, Duseja A, Taneja S, Verma N, De A. S3403 Assessment of Role of Iron Metabolism, Vitamin Deficiency, Gastrointestinal Blood Loss, and Chronic Inflammation in the Etiopathogenesis of Anemia in Chronic Liver Disease. The American Journal of Gastroenterology: October 2021 - Volume 116 - Issue - p S1398-S1399 doi: 10.14309/01.ajg.0000787144.62681.ed
- Premkumar M, Kaur H, Kekan K, Singh V, Duseja A, Ahluwalia J, Kaur H, Mishra S, Mehtani R, De A, Verma N, Taneja S, Kumar N, Reddy V, Singh A, Kajal K, Divyaveer S. Hyperfibrinolysis, endogenous heparinoids and altered plasmin-factor XIII balance contribute to early rebleeding and mortality in cirrhosis with acute variceal bleeding. Hepatology; 74 (Suppl 1). https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.32188
- Meena BL, Praharaj DL, Premkumar M, Mehtani R, Chaluvashetty SB. Hemosuccus pancreaticus: masquerader of variceal bleed in patient with alcoholic steatohepatitis. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2022;34(2):235-236. doi:10.1097/MEG.0000000000001877
- Verma N, Mehtani R, Duseja A. Universal definition and prognostication in acute-on-chronic liver failure - an unmet need! J Hepatol. 2021; S0168-8278(21)01900-0. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2021.06.046
- Vojjala N, Mehtani R, Singh V. Acute Liver Injury due to Therapeutic Doses of Acetaminophen - Confounders must be ruled out! Hepatology. 2021;10.1002/hep.31774. doi:10.1002/hep.31774
- Premkumar M, Mehtani R, Divyaveer S, et al. Clinical Validation of Global Coagulation Tests to Guide Blood Component Transfusions in Cirrhosis and ACLF. J Clin Transl Hepatol. 2021;9(2):210-219. doi:10.14218/JCTH.2020.00121
- Mehtani R, Venkitaraman A, Roy A, Premkumar M. Metastatic Pancreatic Neuroendocrine Tumor With Primary Presentation as Orbital Cellulitis. ACG Case Reports Journal: January 2021 - Volume 8 - Issue 1 - p e00524 doi: 10.14309/crj.0000000000000524
- Mehtani R, Roy A, Singh V. Gut microbial metagenomics in ACLF: The causality-association conundrum. Gastroenterology 2021. doi: https://doi.org/10.1053/ j.gastro.2020.12.055.
- Mehtani R, Roy A, Verma N, Premkumar M, Singh V. Beta-blockers in refractory ascites - is it truly the end of the road?. J Hepatol. 2020;73(5):1290-1291. doi:10.1016/j.jhep.2020.06.035
- Roy A, Premkumar M, Mishra S, Mehtani R, Suri V, Aggarwal N, Singh S, Dhiman RK. Role of ursodeoxycholic acid on maternal serum bile acids and perinatal outcomes in intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Oct 29. doi: 10.1097/MEG.0000000000001954. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33136720.
- Ahmed S, Premkumar M, Dhiman RK, Kulkarni AV, Imran R, Duseja A, Kaur P, Taneja S, Singh V, Mishra S, Roy A, Mehtani R. Combined PEG3350 Plus Lactulose Results in Early Resolution of Hepatic Encephalopathy and Improved 28-Day Survival in Acute-on-Chronic Liver Failure. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2020 Oct 13. doi: 10.1097/MCG.0000000000001450. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33060437.
- Mehtani R, De A, Singh V. Letter: HRS-AKI - a frequent misdiagnosis in the real-world setting?. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2020;52(6):1090-1091. doi:10.1111/apt.15964
- Mehtani R, Saigal S, Jadaun SS, et al. Impact of pre-transplant serum sodium on early outcomes after living donor liver transplant: a retrospective analysis. Journal of clinical and experimental hepatology. 2022; 12 (Suppl 2). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2022.07.143
- Mehtani R, Rastogi R, Jadaun SS, et al. A Curious case of disappearing HCC. Journal of clinical and experimental hepatology. 2022; 12 (Suppl 2). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2022.07.133
- Premkumar M, Aggarwal A, Mehtani R, et al. Role of hepcidin, altered iron metabolism and systemic inflammation in the pathogenesis of iron deficiency anemia, anemia of chronic disease, and iron refractory anemia in cirrhosis and ACLF. Journal of clinical and experimental hepatology. 2022; 12 (Suppl 2). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2022.07.093
- Mehtani R, Premkumar M, Garg S, et al. Intravenous branched chain amino acid infusion is associated with early but ill-sustained recovery of overt hepatic encephalopathy in acute-on-chronic liver failure: A pilot protocol. Journal of clinical and experimental hepatology. 2022; 12 (Suppl 2). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2022.07.087
- Gandotra A, Mehtani R, Premkumar M, Duseja A, De A, Mallik N, Durgadevi S, Das A, Kalra N, Invasive Pulmonary Aspergillosis and Tuberculosis complicated by Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis - Sequelae of COVID-19 in a Liver Transplant Recipient, Journal of Clinical and Experimental Hepatology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2021.12.002
- Taneja S, Mehtani R, Chawla YK. Gastrointestinal and Liver manifestations of COVID-19. Annals of the National Academy of Medical Sciences (India) 2020; 56(02):091-098. doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1713837
- Gargi K, Parikshaa G, Saha PK, Rohit M, Madhumita P, Rajvanshi A. Bilateral Adnexal Masses in a Young Female: Rare Presentation of Hepatocellular Carcinoma With Review of the Literature. J Clin Exp Hepatol. 2020;10(6):636-640. doi:10.1016/j.jceh.2020.01.002
- Sompal, Gupta M, Soni S, Mehtani R, Bharani A. Disseminated Cryptococcosis Mimicking Miliary Tuberculosis with Generalized Lymphadenopathy in Immunocompetent Host. J Assoc Physicians India. 2017;65(6):100-102.