Dr N Nageswara Rao, is amongst the few MCh Head and Neck Surgery & oncology trained doctors in country. He is highly skilled head and neck onco & micro-vascular reconstructive surgeon. After graduating from Sree Venkateswara medical college tirupati, he did MS at the prestigious All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New delhi, India which is a 'Apex Institute with national importance’ under the Government of India. He completed Master Chirurgiae (MCh) training at the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences in Kochi, India. It is the only such oncological and reconstructive program of its kind in India.
His interest in head and neck oncology developed during residency days in AIIMS where he had an enormous number of head and neck cancer patients. Subsequently in Amrita, He learned various aspects of ablative and reconstructive surgery with an equal and important emphasis on rehabilitation. He was trained and nurtured by mentors who were passionate about cancer care. He is also well versed with TOLS (Trans Oral Laser Surgery) for laryngeal cancers and oropharyngeal cancers. He worked as a consultant head and neck onco-surgeon in omega cancer hospital, kurnool. He excelled clinically and academically, and has authored multiple publications in national and international journals.
- MBBS – Sree Venkateswara Medical College, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
- MS (ENT) – All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), New Delhi
- MCh (Head and Neck Surgery & Oncology) – Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, Kerala
- Cancer Ablative & reconstructive surgery for Oral, Oropharyngeal, Laryngeal and Hypopharyngeal cancers
- Thyroid and Parathyroid cancers
- Salivary gland cancers
- Tracheal tumors
- Micro-vascular reconstructive surgery
- Trans Oral Laser Surgery (TOLS)
- Skull base surgery
- Secondary defects reconstruction in head and neck
- Member of Foundation of Head and Neck Oncology (FHNO)
- Clinical supervised laryngology fellowship in Prof.Giorgio Peretti unit, University of Genoa, Italy.
- Amrita Hands-on Surgical Skill enhancement programme 2019 – Microvascular and flap harvest techniques, Department of Plastic and reconstructive surgery.
- Amrita Advanced Cardiac Life support (AACLS) course, 2018.
- AIIMS 1st Hands-On Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS) Cadaveric Dissection Course – 17th - 18th March’2018.
- AIIMS 3rd Head and Neck Cadaver Dissection Course 16th – 17th July’2017.
- Winner - Temporal bone dissection, Delhi AOI conference - April 2018, 6th-8th.
- Winner / Gold medal - Clinical research paper at Federation for Head and Neck Oncology, FHNO-2020 VIRTUAL, 12th & 13th December.
Articles / Book chapters
Scientific Presentations and Abstracts
- Free paper “Patterns of perineural spread on MRI in gingivo-buccal cancers” at 19th Annual FHNO Conference, Chennai October 10th-13th 2019.
- Video presentation “Islanded nasolabial flap for tongue defects reconstruction” at 19th Annual FHNO Conference, Chennai October 10th-13th 2019.
- Award paper “Primary Tumor Staging for Oral Cancer and a Proposed Modification Incorporating perineural Invasion: An International Multicenter Study” at Federation for Head and Neck Oncology, FHNO-2020 VIRTUAL, 12th & 13th December.
- Video presentation “Novel technique for Total Soft palate dynamic reconstruction with Bilateral pedicled muco-periosteal palatal flap and Posterior pharyngeal wall flap” at Federation for Head and Neck Oncology, FHNO-2020 VIRTUAL, 12th & 13th December.
- Noothanapati NR, Akali NR, Buggaveeti R, et al. Reconstruction in Salvage Surgery for Head and Neck Cancers. Craniomaxillofacial Trauma & Reconstruction. June 2022. doi:10.1177/19433875221109248
- Iyer, S., Subramaniam, S., Thankappan, K., Rao, N., Satyapalan, D., Ravikumar, B., & Vasudevan, A. (2021). Perceptions of the Health Care Workers about the Guideline Implemented for Safe Surgical Practice during COVID-19 Pandemic in a University Teaching Hospital. Surgery journal (New York, N.Y.), 7(2), e73–e82. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0041-1726130.
- Harijee A, Thankappan K, Sharma M, NageswaraRao NN, Patel T, Bhaskaran R, Raj M, Sundaram KR, Iyer S. Estimation of Health Utility and Quality Adjusted Life Years in Bilateral Hand Transplantation: A Time Trade-off Study. Ann Plast Surg. 2021 Mar 1;86(3):345-350. doi: 10.1097/SAP.0000000000002544. PMID: 32881744.
- Iyer S, Akali NR, Rao NN. Nasal vestibule and columella cancer: a therapeutic and reconstructive conundrum. Curr Opin Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Apr 1;29(2):93-99. doi: 10.1097/MOO.0000000000000701. PMID: 33664194.
- Noothanapati NR, Thankappan K, Akali NR, Patel T, Balasubramanian D, Iyer S. Flaps based on facial arteriovenous system for the reconstruction of head-and-neck cancer defects. J Head Neck Physicians Surg 2020;8:80-6.
- Kanodia A, Sakthivel P, Singh CA, Rao NN, Nayak N and Sharma SC. Lower Lip CarcinomaReconstruction using Abbe Estlander Flap: Tips and Tricks. Ann Surg Perioper Care. 2018; 3(1): 1039.