The department of ophthalmology provides a well-equipped facility for the complete examination, diagnosis, and treatment (both medically and surgically) of all ocular diseases in both adult and paediatric patients. The department is comprised of a dedicated and well-qualified team of healthcare professionals with excellent support from nursing and administrative staff. Eye disorders can be diagnosed and treated at Amrita Hospital, including cataract, glaucoma, strabismus and amblyopia, ocular trauma, refractive disorders, cornea and external diseases, lachrymal drainage disorders, uveal diseases, and retinal disorders.
We have the finest equipment available in ophthalmic care including:
|Humphrey Field Analyzer ( HFA) – Carl Zeiss Meditech ( model no.750 i)||Frequency doubled Nd-YAG laser|
|Ultrasound A scan (Amplitude modulation scan) – Accutome – A scan plus model no. 24-4400||Nd – YAG laser|
|Ultrasound B scan (Brightness scan)
Appasamy associated / Gantec corporation
|Carl Zeiss OPMI Lumera -302608-9010-000 Sony 3CCD Ex wave HAD camera – microscope|
|Fundus camera for – Fundus Fluorescein
Angiography (FFA ), Indocyanin green Angiography (ICG), Auto fluorescence (AF) – Zeiss FF 450 plus IR
|Carl Zeiss OPMI Visu 150 microscope|
|Optical coherence tomography (Syscan Version IV) – Cirrhus HD-OCT model-4000||Alcon – Constellation vision system
|ERG – Ephios hand held ERG system||Phacomachine|
|Auto refractometer – Topcon N KR 800||LASIK|
|Hand held slit lamp – Shin Nippon|
|Perkins MK3 hand-held applanation tonometer|
|Tonopen – Reichert tonopen Avia|
|AS-OCT – Carl Zeiss Visante OCT model : 1000|
All retinal diseases are evaluated and managed. Many treatments are done as outpatient procedures, including:
- Digital retinal photography : An ideal tool for documentation and follow up and can also give an accurate assessment of the progression of the disease.
Fundus fluorescein angiography is performed on a daily basis in order to diagnose and manage all vascular and neurological abnormalities of the retina. It is an integral part of retinal OPD practice
- Ocular ultrasonography : A noninvasive investigation performed in some cases for which evaluation is required for retinal tumours, vitreous haemorrhage and intraocular foreign bodies
- Optical coherence tomography : Another noninvasive investigation that can be used to study the cross sectional anatomy of the retina. It is useful in the diagnosis, management and follow up of almost all macular diseases
- Laser photocoagulation : Done on a daily basis with the Zeiss Visulas system. It is used in the management of diabetic retinopathy, age related macular degeneration, vascular blocks and many other retinal disorders.
- Retinopathy of prematurity screening: A thorough screening of preterm neonates for ROP with therapeutic services including LASER and surgical management are profound here.
- Retinal surgery : Our team is well equipped with an Accurus vitrectomy machine, facilities for endolaser and cryopexy, and a wide angle surgical viewing system which is one of the latest innovations in retinal surgery. Retinal surgeries being performed include :
- Scleral buckling
- Pars plana vitrectomy
- Complicated procedures for retinal detachment, proliferative diabetic retinopathy
- Intraocular foreign body removal
- Out Patient Services
A meticulous eye examination with slit lamp along with diagnostic tools like Auto refractometer, non contact tonometer, A scan, B scan are the services provided with indefinite care and precision. Opening up opaque membranes that sometimes form after cataract surgery can be done in the clinic with our Nd – YAG Laser.
- Operation Theatre Services
We are equipped with an AMO signature and Constellation, higher-end phacoemulsification system that minimizes tissue damage during cataract surgery. Micro incision cataract surgery [MICS] is also available for cases in which the wound size is even smaller. Intraocular surgery is done with a Zeiss OPMI Lumera surgical microscope and the finest titanium surgical instruments. All types of intra ocular lenses [IOL], including foldable IOLs, toric IOLs and multifocal IOLs are routinely inserted with excellent results. Availability of day care surgery (operation without admission) makes it more convenient for the patient. Congenital cataract surgeries are performed with utmost proficiency under the observation of paediatric anaesthesia team
The glaucoma clinic provides comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic care for adult as well as congenital glaucoma.
The services rendered include slit lamp examination with Applanation tonometry, Gonioscopy and sterioscopic optic disc evaluation.
Our department is equipped with:
- Non contact tonometer (Topocon CT800)
- Perkins tonometer (Clement Clarke Perkins MK3, hand held tonometer)
- Tonopen (Reichert Tonopen AVIA)
- Non contact pachymeter (Topcon specular microscope – SP 3000P)
- Humphrey Field Analyser (HFA – Carl Zeiss Meditech inc 750i)
- Optical coherence tomography (Cirrus HD OCT – 4000) along with Fundus photography
Our department is equipped with Nd- YAG laser for the treatment of Pupilary block glaucoma.
- Surgical Services
Trabeculectomy, trabeculotomy, glaucoma drainage device implantation are the various surgical services available here.
Lid and Occuloplasty Services
Emergency trauma care with elective cosmetic surgeries including lid and orbit are performed here.
Cosmetic procedures like Botox injections are done on a daily basis for excellent results.
Cornea and Refractive Surgery Services
Cornea and Refractive Surgery at Amrita Hospital, Kochi has under its umbrella a wide range of diagnostic and treatment modalities.
- Amrita LASIK Centre – LASIK is a procedure that eliminates the need for wearing glasses or contact lenses for clear vision. It does so by accurately reshaping the cornea with the help of excimer laser. At Amrita LASIK centre we take every possible effort to make sure that the procedure is perfectly safe for your eyes. A variety of customisable treatment options are possible with Carl Zeiss MEL80, our high precision sturdy German machine. Phototherapeutic keratectomy [removal of corneal scars with excimer laser] is also offered.
- Refractive Surgery – Other laser vision correction procedures like LASEK [ Laser assisted epithelial keratomileusis] and PRK [Photorefractive keratectomy] as well as phakic IOL [ ICL, IPCL or RIL] is done routinely for spectacle free vision.
- Corneal Transplant Unit – Lamellar keratoplasty or selective replacement of corneal tissue based on the level of corneal pathology has established its role as the procedure of choice in the field of corneal transplantation. With anterior segment OCT for precise assessment of corneal pathology and automated lamellar keratoplsty system [the first unit in Kerala] for performing, more refinement and accuracy is possible in lamellar keratoplasty. Endothelial keratoplasty is also done routinely.
- Amrita Eye Bank - Our department also houses a state-of-the-art eye bank with Konan cell check D model CD -15 specular microscope, a laminar flow hood , 24/7 cornea retrieval team including an eye bank ambulance. After careful evaluation the donor tissue is preserved in MK medium or distributed.
- Keratoconus Clinic – A comprehensive keratoconus clinic with [i] top notch imaging system – Atlas Corneal topography and Visante Omni imaging, Wasca analyzer for evaluating ocular aberrations [ii] Collagen cross linking [C3R] and Topography guided PRK with C3R for stabilising the disease [iii] different types of corneal transplantation – automated lamellar keratoplasty, deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty and penetrating keratoplasty [iv] Customised contact lens fitting – RGP, Kerasoft and Miniscleral lenses are available.
- Dry eye and Ocular Surface Clinic – a comprehensive evaluation of dry eye with meibography and rheumatology support is available. From punctal plugs in moderate dry eye to microvascular transfer of salivary gland in advanced dry eye is offered [the latter is done by a team comprising of microvascular, head & neck and ophthalmic surgeon]. Amniotic Membrane Transplantation, Mucous Membrane Grafting and rarely Limbal Stem Cell Transplantation are also done.
Infections of cornea and sclera are treated with good microbiological and molecular diagnostic support as well as Infectious Disease Department support.
The squint clinic provides methodical assessment for the diagnosis of various types of squints followed by medical management or surgical treatment.
Ophthalmology camps are conducted with the objective to provide free intraocular lens implantation surgery for low-income individuals with cataracts who are unable to afford cataract surgery. Members of the department have shown tremendous dedication in participating in these eye camps. Approximately fifty camps are conducted every year, during which eleven thousand patients are seen and fifteen hundred cataract surgeries are performed.
- A 24/7 Ophthalmological Emergency management, trauma care with operation theatre services are available.
- Low Vision Aid Clinic
To rehabilitate patients with irreversible blindness is taken up here.
Retinopathy of Prematurity Screening: A thorough screening of preterm neonates for ROP with therapeutic services including LASER and Surgical management are performed here.
A thorough, finest screening and management (medical and surgical) of congenital cataract, glaucoma and other conditions with very good outcomes are a part of regular services provided here.
Amblyopia services, refractory surgeries, squint surgeries are performed with ease.
A comprehensive management with the department of Rheumatology for paediatric and adult patients with rheumatological disorders is a highlight.