BHADRA - Amrita Breast Imaging Services
BHADRA- Amrita Breast Imaging Services under Radiology Department at Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, symbolises faith, hope and wellness.
Considering the increasing incidence of breast-related symptoms, the need for a separate unit for breast imaging was felt wherein mammography, ultrasound breast and guided interventional procedures, all are performed. This is to ensure increased comfort and total privacy to the patients.
In March 2019, the state-of-the-art breast imaging centre was inaugurated. Dr. Janaki P. Dharmarajan, a fellowship trained breast imaging radiologist has been in charge of breast imaging in Amrita since September 2013, is in charge of BHADRA. On an average, approximately 6000 mammography, 1000 plus breast ultrasound, 150 MRI breast and more than 500 image-guided breast interventional procedures are performed annually.
We are in the process of acquiring vacuum assisted biopsy that will enable complete removal of calcifications under mammography guidance and small benign lesions under ultrasound guidance resulting in a scarless procedure.
Services offered at Bhadra
- Digital mammography with tomosynthesis
- High resolution breast ultrasound study
- MRI breast
Image-guided breast interventional services include:
- Pre-operative mammography guided wire localisation for non-palpable suspicious masses.
- Stereotactic guided core biopsy of suspicious calcifications seen only on mammography.
- Specimen mammography.
- Ultrasound guided large core biopsy of breast masses and axillary lymph nodes under local anaesthesia.
- Ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of axillary lymph nodes, cyst aspiration.
- Pre-operative ultrasound guided wire localisation for small non palpable cancers.
- Ultrasound or mammography guided clip placement.
Key Features and Benefits
Breast care is a team work and is based on triple assessment. The breast surgeon, radiologist and pathologist work as a team and each case is assessed on individual basis. This is the only centre in India where the breast radiologist gives complete report based on pathological findings with further recommendations that is based on guidelines of ACR (American College of Radiology). The aim of the breast team is single step surgery. This is achieved by:
- Imaging to identify the probably benign that can be safely followed up instead of surgery.
- Ultrasound guided tissue biopsy of indeterminate masses helps the surgeon to plan if the patient needs only follow up or surgery.
- If cancer is proved by biopsy, then information regarding type of cancer, aggressiveness and hormone receptor status and spread to lymph nodes is obtained. This helps the surgeon to identify the patients who can be operated upfront from those who need medications to reduce size of the tumour before surgery.
- All cancer cases are discussed in multidisciplinary tumour board meeting held every week and includes breast surgeon, radiologist, pathologist, and medical and radiation oncologist.
- There is a discussion between the breast surgeon and the radiologist pre-operatively so that the best oncoplasty technique can be used for optimal aesthetic effect.