Psychiatry and Behavior Medicine
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavior Medicine provides comprehensive mental health services ranging from psycho-social treatments like counseling and psychotherapy to biological treatment modalities including pharmacotherapy and electroconvulsive therapy. It provides sub specialty services in general psychiatry and de-addiction services as well and is ably supported by the departments of clinical psychology and social work in providing neuro-psychological and psycho-social services. The department has experienced and dedicated faculty who also include senior psychiatrists with many years of experience as educators and clinicians in premier medical institutions in the state. A number of interdisciplinary research programs are underway in diverse areas like community psychiatry, neuropsychiatry and psycho endocrinology. An inspiring and stimulating academic environment, excellent clinical and diagnostic services embedded in a remarkable basic science environment are what define the Department of Psychiatry and Behavior Medicine in AIMS.
Substance addiction is a group of disorders that can cause both physical and psychological damage that affects the family and society, and hence receiving treatment is essential for breaking the cycle of addiction. In the year 2020, over 90,000 people in India received drug deaddiction treatment. Unprofessional management of this health issue poses immense danger to the health of the patient. Relapses are also very common with incomplete treatment. Department of Psychiatry, Amrita Hospital, Kochi, would like to offer holistic, scientific treatment incorporating psychological and modern psychiatric methods.
The deaddiction team in the hospital consists of a dedicated team of qualified psychiatrists and psychiatric social worker, which functions under the Department of Psychiatry, Amrita Hospital, Kochi. We have interdisciplinary management incorporating Gastroenterology, General Medicine, Psychology and Integrative Medicine departments.
Detoxification – A set of medical interventions aimed at managing acute intoxication and withdrawal resulting due to drug abuse. During this stage, the toxins will be cleared out from the body with the aim of attenuating the risk of physical harm caused by the substances.
2. Psychosocial interventions
The main aim would be to provide psychological support for the patient and caregivers. It also involves assessment and improvement of family dynamics.
- Brief interventional strategies – Therapeutic techniques, both pharmacological as well as non pharmacological, with focus on intermediate goals of the deaddiction program while paving the way towards achieving long term abstinence. The main tools used here would be psychoeducation and harm reduction techniques.
- Motivation Enhancement Therapy – A counseling approach that helps individuals resolve their ambivalence about engaging in treatment and stopping their drug use. This approach aims to evoke rapid and internally motivated change, rather than guide the patient stepwise through the recovery process. This therapy consists of an initial assessment battery session, followed by two to four individual treatment sessions with a therapist.
- Relapse Prevention Therapy – Therapy aimed at employing a set of cognitive and behavioural strategies with the aim of maintaining abstinence and preventing relapse of substance use.
- Family Therapy – Therapy involving families to help patients overcome their addiction. Identification of dysfunctional relationships and involving family members in the treatment process can go a long way in helping patients achieve their goal of abstinence.
- Group therapy – Therapy involving all the patients and caregivers together for scheduled sessions over every week. The sessions will be both psychoeducational as well as process oriented. This would help the patients and their families develop a sense of belonging and boost their confidence.
3. Yoga sessions for integrated mental health care.
- Family and Marital Therapy
- Psychoeducation and Alcohol Group Therapy
- General Adult Psychiatry Services
- Consultation-Liason Psychiatry Services
- Geriatric Psychiatry Services
- De-addiction Services
- Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Services
- Neuropsychiatry Services
- OP Services
- IP Services - We have a 30-bedded psychiatry ward
Facilities and Equipments
- EMG Biofeedback
- Multi Behavior Sex Therapy
- Stammer Suppressor
- Aversion Therapy
- Brain Polariser
- Electro Sleep Apparatus
- GSR Biofeedback
- Brief Pulse E.C.T.