Paediatric and Congenital Heart Surgery
Paediatric and congenital heart surgery at AIMS is one of the well known centers of excellence in the country. To date, the program has to its credit more than ten thousand congenital heart surgeries successfully performed. An average of three to four operations are performed for children with congenital heart disease every day; the overall survival rate matching the best in the world. With a dedicated team of doctors, we cater to the needs of patients from all over the country and abroad.
Open heart procedures include:
- closure of atrial and ventricular septal defects
- repair of tetralogy of Fallot
- repair of total anomalous pulmonary venous connection
- arterial switch operation
- Senning operation
- Fontan procedure (including the extra-cardiac Fontan operation)
- Glenn procedure, repair of common AV canal defects
- Rastelli operation
- Ross operation
- Norwood operation
- conduit replacements
- single stage unifocalization
- ALCAPA repairs and double switch procedures
Neonatal Cardiac Surgery
The department has successfully performed more than four hundred and fifty arterial switch operations and eight hundred TAPVC repairs in neonates:
- Arterial switches: done in cases of transposition of great arteries - where the aorta originates from the wrong ventricle and the baby is blue.
- Total anomalous pulmonary venous return repair: done in cases where the pulmonary veins open into the wrong side of the heart and the baby is blue.
- Norwood operation: done for hypoplastic left heart syndrome where the whole left side of the heart is underdeveloped.
- Systemic pulmonary shunts.
- One stage repair of arch anomalies with correction of intra-cardiac defects.
Infant Cardiac Surgery
- Closure of simpler intra cardiac defects.
- Total corrections for tetralogy, double outlet right ventricle.
- Repair of endocardial cushion defects.
- Senning operation.
- Anomalous left coronary artery from the pulmonary artery (ALCAPA) repairs.
- Double switch procedures.
Complex Valve Repairs
- Correction of Ebstein's anomaly.
- Congenital mitral stenosis and mitral regurgitation.
- Aortic and mitral valve repairs.
Operation for Single Ventricle Physiology
The centre performs staged repairs for single ventricle physiology.
- PA banding.
- Systemic-pulmonary shunts.
- Cavopulmonary shunts.
- Fontan operation.
Congenital Defects in Older Children and Adolescents
- The whole spectrum of congenital heart surgery ranging from total corrections to conduit reconstructions is performed.
- Redo operations for congenital heart defects.
- Surgeries like replacement of conduits, surgery for endocarditis, staged Fontan surgeries are routinely performed.
Cosmetic Congenital Heart Surgery
The centre is well known for surgery of congenital heart defects employing cosmetically appealing incisions. More than fifteen hundred open-heart procedures employing limited posterior thoracotomy incisions have been performed. Approximately three hundred infants and children have undergone open-heart procedures through ministernotomy (so called key-hole approach). These include corrections like tetralogy repairs, closure of septal defects (both atrial and ventricular), anomalous venous connections and endocardial cushion defects.