Amrita Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center
The Amrita Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center at the Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences, Kochi, is the first and largest Centre of Excellence for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) in India dedicated to the diagnosis and management of patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). At the Amrita HCM Center, we aim to provide a world class multi-disciplinary HCM program dealing with every aspect of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy care. The clinical lead of the HCM Program at Amrita is Dr. Hisham Ahamed who brings his rich experience of having been mentored by one of the largest HCM programs in the world, namely the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center and Research Institute at Tuft’s Medical Center, Boston (US).
HCM is the commonest genetic heart disease which leads to morbidity and mortality at all ages. However, with state-of-the-art evaluation and timely treatment strategies, patients with HCM can have a near normal life expectancy. We at Amrita HCM Center take great pride in delivering the most up to date information about HCM and standard of care treatment options to our patients and their families.
The services offered at the Amrita HCM Center of Excellence are :
Advanced diagnostic and risk stratification studies
- State of the art echocardiography
- Advanced cardiac MRI with myocardial characterization protocols
- State of the art cardiac catheterization suites
Advanced Therapeutic options
- Surgical septal myectomy: Amrita HCM center is one of the few centers in the country which offers the service of septal myectomy for obstructive HCM. The surgical team is well experienced in performing the full spectrum of cardiac surgeries including septal myectomies with excellent outcomes. The septal myectomy program is headed by Dr. Praveen Varma, Chief of Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgery.
- Alcohol septal ablation
- Implantable Cardiac defibrillators (ICDs): For the prevention of sudden cardiac death(SCD) in high risk HCM patients.
- Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation
- Heart transplantation: The Heart Failure and Transplant Unit offers comprehensive care solutions to advanced and high risk HCM patients.
Advanced Cardiovascular Genomics facilities
Advanced Cardiovascular Genomics facilities allow for comprehensive genetic analysis of patients and their families by offering genetic counselling, targeted cardiomyopathy genetic panels as well as whole exome sequencing analyses.
Patient support groups
Patient support groups directed at spreading awareness and providing much needed support through patient education and counseling.