Molecular Oncology has now become an essential part of cancer diagnosis and treatment. Identification of genetic changes in hereditary cancer syndromes such as neurofibromatosis, Lynch syndrome, hereditary breast and ovarian cancer syndrome are now essential part of routine diagnosis tests in cancer care worldwide. Also, specific molecular diagnostics tests are required now for selecting chemotherapeutic regimen in certain cancers such as adenocarcinomas of lung for better survival rate and quality of life. The molecular oncology diagnostics requires a streamlined work-flow starting from good quality histopathological examination, leading on to tailor-made and affordable molecular biology assays, analysis that ultimately translatable into clinically meaningful interpretations. Experts in oncology, pathology and molecular biology departments in Amrita Institute of Medical Sciences have joined hands to make this possible in a seamless way to proliferate an efficient and advanced genetic and genomic level variance detection in cancer diagnostics. Please see the following list of tests we have currently introduced in Amrita Molecular Oncology Laboratory.
- NABL accredited molecular biology laboratory
- Onco-pathologists directed tissue triaging and sampling
- High quality molecular biology grade reagents and standards.State-of-the art equipments such as
a. ABI 3500® Genetic Analyzer
b. Thermo ABI 7500 Fast® Real-time PCR
c. Qiagen Roto-Gene® Real-time PCR
d. Roche Lightcycler 480 II Real-time PCR
e. Qubit® fluorometer
f. Thermo Proflex® Thermal Cycler
g. Roche MagnaPure-24 Automated Extractor
h. Roche z480 real-time PCR machine
- Separate stations for DNA/RNA and biosafety cabinets in BSL
- Separate labs for DNA extraction, pre-PCR preparation, post PCR processing etc.
- Sequencing and fragment analysis done in different facilities
- Custom made assays with proper validation and controls
- Double validation of mutational variants using two different techniques ultimately confirmed by DNA sequencing or fragment analysis
- Advanced tests at affordable price
- Analysis using professional software and publicly available databases
- Handled by experts who are both clinicians and molecular biologists so that analysis, troubleshooting and clinical interpretation is all streamlined
- Pre-test counseling: Introduction to genetic test and pre-test counseling done routinely by clinical onco-geneticist
- Post-test interpretation of result, analysis details and implications are explained routinely
Many new research studies have been initiated with the co-ordination of all the clinical, and non-clinical departments. For e.g. Amrita Phakomatoses Clinic. A specialized clinic to screen patients who have been suspected to have hereditary phakomatoses syndromes causing multiple tumors in the brain and spinal cord and other nervous system related regions of the body. The disorders include neurofibromatosis type 1-, type 2, von Hippel Lindau syndrome, Gorlin syndrome etc. The clinic is a coordinated effort of Neurosurgery, Neurology, Urology, GI surgery, Endocrinology, Ophthalmology, Paediatric Genetics and Molecular Diagnostics Division of Medical Oncology.