The Department of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT) is one of the most well equipped departments with experienced faculty and infrastructure. Otorhinolaryngology, as it stands now, is not merely dependent on routine outdoor evaluation and conservative management as it used to be in the past. The department has adjusted well with the advancement of medical technology. With the advent of modern day telescopes, operating microscopes and lasers, the department now handles various ear-nose-throat and neck disorders efficiently and precisely. The department has state-of-the-art microscopes to perform micro ear surgeries including cochlear implant. There are nasal and nasopharyngeal endoscopes for diagnostics and video endoscopy facilities for all types of endoscopic sinus surgeries including transnasal pituitary and surgery for CSF Rhinorrhoea.
Microlaryngeal surgeries and voice-improving phonosurgery are also performed. There is a dedicated Voice Clinic, conducted weekly, to cater specifically to patients with voice issues. This includes the investigation modality of videolaryngostroboscopy. Salivary gland disorders are being managed by the new modality of Sialendoscopy. Our department specializes in doing endoscopic removal of salivary stones with sialadenoscope and is one of the leading centres in India. Sleep disorders, especially snoring and sleep apnoea, are growing in incidence. Our department has recently taken the lead in setting up a multi-disciplinary ‘Snoring Clinic’. Our department is the referral centre for airway disorders of both adults and children.
- Voice Clinic – Every Friday
- Otology Clinic – Every Saturday
- Swallowing Clinic – Every Saturday
- Salivary disorders Clinic – Every Saturday
- Snoring Clinic – Every Saturday
- Management of all ear diseases in adults and children including offering a wide range of surgical services like tympanoplasty, mastoidectomy, stapedectomy, cochlear implants and BAHA implants.
- Management of CSF otorrhea and facial nerve paralysis are also addressed.
- We are successfully running a cochlear implant program with a state-of-the-art audiology setup.
We treat diseases of the salivary gland both medically and surgically. Surgeries include sialodochotomy, submandibular and parotid gland removal. Aesthetic parotidectomy is also being practiced. Endoscopic salivary gland surgery (sialadenoscopy) is available which take care of stones, strictures and paediatric salivary disorders. We cater to children with drooling.
Voice pathology: We provide solutions to voice problems with a dedicated voice clinic every Friday, ably supported by a speech pathologist. Our services match international standards with Stroboscopy and Doctor Speech being a part of the clinic. Surgeries like thyroplasty and other microlaryngeal surgeries are routinely performed. A dedicated swallowing clinic functions every Saturday where swallowing disorders are routinely dealt with. We have expertise in dealing with paediatric swallowing disorders. Procedures like FEES, videofluoroscopy and therapy sessions form part of it.
We manage all ENT problems in children like cochlear implantation and rehabilitation, endoscopic video assisted adenoidectomy, surgery for choenal atresia, congenital laryngeal problems like laryngomalacia, laryngotracheal stenosis and foreign body removal from bronchus and esophagus. We are ably supported by Paediatrics, Neonatology, and Anesthesiology departments.
The department manages most of the rhinological diseases involving sinusitis and benign masses by nasal endoscopy. We perform cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) rhinorrhoea repair and difficult frontal and sphenoid sinus surgeries routinely with superior results. We have a dedicated team with Neurosurgery for endoscopic skull base procedures. Rhinoplasty is routinely practised here.
Surgery on reconstruction of airway includes Kashima’s laser cordotomy, arytenoidectomy, laryngotracheoplasty and tracheal reconstruction and anastomoses. Benign tumors of larynx are removed endoscopically.
Audiology offers wide range of services including PTA (Pure Tone testing), ASSR (Auditory Steady Sate Response), OAE (Otoacoustic Emissions), BERA (Brainstem evoked response audiometry) and auditory rehabilitation. Vertigo evaluation is also done here.
Outpatient Clinic Procedures Performed
- Nasal endoscopy
- Flexible fibre optic nasopharyngolaryngoscopy
- Microscopy of the ear
- Intratympanic gentamycin administration
- Myringotomy and Grommet insertion
- Epley’s Manoeuvre
- Cold caloric testing
- Positional testing
Audiology, speech therapy and swallowing therapy
- Pure tone audiometry and special tests
- Brainstem Evoked Response Audiometry (BERA)
- ASSR (Auditory Steady State Response)
- OAE (Otoacoustic Emissions),
- VEMP (Vestibular evoked myogenic potential)
- Behavioral audiometry
- Speech assessment and therapy
- Post cochlear implantation therapy
- Evaluation of swallowing – Flexible nasopharyngolaryngoscopy, FEES, fluoroscopy
- Swallowing therapy
Surgery of the Throat and Neck
- Adenotonsillectomy / coblation adenotonsillectomy
- Surgery for treatment of snoring (OSAS) such as Uvulo Palato Pharyngoplasty (UPPP) ,expansion pharyngoplasty and tongue base procedures
- Laser Assisted Uvulo Palatoplasty (LAUP)
- Surgery for vocal cord paralysis
- Tumors of throat and larynx
- Paediatric airway surgery – choanal atresia, laryngomalacia, subglottic stenosis, tracheal stenosis, tracheomalacia etc
- Tumors of the structures of the neck
- Surgery for salivary glands
- Primary resection anastomosis for tracheal stenosis
- Surgery for subglottic stenosis with stenting
- Laser excision of vascular tumours in the head and neck areas
- Microlaryngeal surgeries
- Upper aero-digestive endoscopy for adults and children
- Removal of foreign bodies
Surgery of deafness and discharging ears
- Middle ear reconstruction
- Facial nerve decompression
- Tumours of middle ear / mastoid system
- Cochlear implant surgery
- BAHA implant surgery
- Glomus tympanicum
Surgery of the Nose and Para-Nasal Sinuses
- Functional endoscopic sinus surgery
- Endoscopic Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR)
- Endoscopic repair of CSF (Cerebral Spinal Fluid) rhinorrhoea
- Rhinoplasty (open and closed)
- Arterial ligations (sphenopalatine, ethmoidal, maxillary and external carotid) for epistaxis
- Surgery for tumours of the nose and PNS
- Endoscopic skull base surgery (pituitary tumours, JNA etc)
- DISE (sleep endoscopy)
- Snoring surgeries