The Poison Control Centre (PCC) comprising a Poison Information Unit and an Analytical Toxicology Laboratory is a unique facility that offers latest information on poisons/poisoning, as well as analysis of biological fluid samples of poisoned victims for the benefit of all hospitals, government doctors, and private practitioners of Kerala state and neighboring regions. This is the first time that such a Centre has been started in a hospital in the entire state of Kerala, and has been recognized by the World Health Organization as one of the authorized Poison Control Centres of India, and the only one that is full-fledged with regard to information resource, analytical, and research facilities. The Analytical Toxicology Lab is accredited by NABL (National Accreditation Board for Laboratories).
1. Toxicological analysis of blood, urine, or stomach contents (vomitus, aspirate, or washing). Details of sample collection and submission plus the list of poisons/drugs which can be tested is available on request (click here to view the menu of toxicological tests). Some of the common toxins tested include:
d. Heavy Metals
e. Pharmaceuticals & Drugs
f. Plant Toxins
g. Drugs of Abuse, including Brown Sugar (Heroin and other Opiates), Ganja (Cannabis),Amphetamines, Ecstasy and other Designer Drugs, Cocaine, Phencyclidine, etc.
h. Food Poisons and Adulterants
2. Instant access to detailed information on poisons and poisoning through telephone, e-mail, postal mail, personal contact, etc. The department utilizes the following databases on toxicology: POISINDEX (USA), TOXINZ (New Zealand), and TOXBASE (UK) which together has information on more than 1 million poisonous substances encountered world-wide. These data-bases enable the department to answer any query on poisons or poisoning in a matter of seconds via e-mail or phone or fax.
3. The Centre has an attached Forensic DNA Typing Unit with state-of-the-art facilities for DNA extraction and amplification.
4. Two certificate courses (of 1 week each) are conducted by the Centre: Analytical Toxicology & Forensic DNA Typing (click here to view details).
5. Expert guidance on diagnosis and treatment of poisoning: Both healthcare providers and the public can contact Dr. V. V. Pillay, Chief of the Poison Control Centre, for any queries (free of charge) regarding: Poisons, Poisoning (acute and chronic), Drug Overdose, Drug Adverse Effects, Drug Abuse, Food Poisoning, Bites & Stings.
Samples Accepted -
1. Body fluids: Blood (5-10 ml in vacutainer), Urine (25-50 ml in sterile container), Stomach contents (aspirate, washing, vomitus; 25-50 ml in sterile container). No preservative must be added to any sample. If more than 6 hours is likely to elapse from collection time to submission time, cooling of samples is desirable.
2. All cases are accepted, including medicolegal cases; however, viscera samples from dead victims are generally not accepted.
3. Commercial products (e.g., medicinal or food samples) for detecting presence of poisons or drugs.
Head : Dr. V. V. Pillay MD, DCL
Phones : +91 - 484-4008056 (direct)
+91 - 484-4001234; Ext-8056, 6034, 8096